With football in full swing, and everyone rooting for their favorite teams, I thought I’d share one of my favorite football party dips today. You can use this for your parties coming up for those college bowl games, or Superbowl party too. I’ll have some more football party and food ideas, and recipes coming up in the next few weeks!
Here’s a really cute idea from Wholly Guacamole.
Football season traditionally means tailgate time, play-off parties and a table of unhealthy dips loaded with calories–70 per tablespoon for spinach dip and a whopping 90 per tablespoon in buttermilk ranch. With Americans deriving an estimated 30 percent of their daily calories from outside traditional meals, the trend in party fare is to serve healthier options. At just 25 calories per tablespoon, adding pre-made, all-natural guacamole to the party line-up makes a game-time winner.
Wholly Guacamole Gridiron Game Time Dip
Prep: 30 minutes
– 1 Tbsp butter
– ½ cup red bell pepper
– ½ cup onion, chopped
– 2, 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed / drained
– 2 tsp fresh chopped jalapeno peppers
– ½ tsp ground cumin
– 1 cup salsa
– 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
– 14 oz Wholly Guacamole
– ½ cup sour cream
– 1 bag tortilla chips
1. Melt butter in skillet; add peppers and onion. Cook over medium heat until onion is softened. (4 minutes). Stir in beans, jalapenos and cumin. Cook until heated.
2. Transfer 1 cup of bean mixture to a food processor, process until smooth. Return blended mixture to remaining mixture and stir to combine. Spread onto an 11×8 baking dish. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
3. Just before serving, layer over the bean mixture: salsa, cheese and top with Wholly Guacamole.
4. Spoon sour cream into resealable plastic bag. Snip off small corner and pipe sour cream lines over the guacamole to resemble yard markers on a football field.
Image and Guacamole recipe via Wholly Guacamole